Tuesday, February 22, 2005

This post is about a different kind of race...

Enough posts about genetic races. Let's talk about car races.

Check out this
Wired magazine article.


If a Los Angeles-area scientist has his way, car chases may become as antiquated as horse-mounted cavalry. James Tatoian, chief executive of Eureka Aerospace in Pasadena, California, is developing a system that uses microwave energy to interfere with microchips inside cars. Once the chip is overloaded with excessive current, the car ceases to function, and will gradually decelerate on its own, he said.

"If you put approximately 10 or 15 kilovolts per meter on a target for a few seconds, you should be able to bring it to a halt," Tatoian said.

(click link for more)

Oh baby. Summer can't come soon enough for me: Academy graduation, car-stopping microwaves, the latest Harry Potter book...
I'll say it again: oh baby.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Alex said...

Let's not forget Episode III, my anticipation of which is presently keeping me alive through these last tempestuous months of law school. Darth Vader baby. Ohh. Ohh.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

batman begins dogg. batman begins

12:15 AM  
Blogger Phil Aldridge said...

I can't wait for Episode 3 just so we can end the madness. I like Star Wars as much as the next guy, but we have to keep Lucas from being involved in filmmaking.

And Batman Begins does look pretty cool.

So many franchises to keep up with! I hope there's time left over to fry some people's cars!

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Alex said...

While I agree that George Lucas had to be under the influence of several powerful psychotropic drugs when he made Episodes I & II, I am holding out hope that God intervened somehow to prevent him from mangling Episode III.

I mean, really, how HARD is it to screw up the greatest story ever told (the transformation of Anakin Skywalker into Darth Vader)? I could do it in my sleep. I'm with you, Phil, but I really don't think even Lucas could botch this one.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Phil Aldridge said...

I mean, really, how HARD is it to screw up the greatest story ever told I saw a video at the store the other day entitled "The Greatest Story Ever Told". It had a totally different subject matter though. Not one lightsabre or effeminate robot to be found!

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Alex said...

Was that the one about Jesus and stuff?

12:18 PM  
Blogger karrde said...

Hey, does that "microwave gun" work on classics like the '69 Vette, which didn't have any microchips in it?

1:17 PM  
Blogger Phil Aldridge said...

Talon -

I'm pretty sure the microwave wouldn't interfere with any car that didn't have microchips. There wouldn't be any equipment that could be fried with it.

Luckily, most stolen cars are newer models (like Honda Civics), so we'll at least put a huge dent in stolen car pursuits.

And hey, once criminals learn that we can fry cars, hopefully most of them will be too stupid to figure out that older cars are immune.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home