Friday, March 11, 2005

Why does this happen?

From a CNN.com story -

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A Fulton County Superior Court judge and a court reporter were killed and two deputies were wounded Friday when a defendant grabbed a gun from a deputy sheriff and opened fire, officials said.
Now they think that one of the deputies is going to die as well. It's a terrible, terrible situation.
But I have to ask, why did this happen? How did one man in a courthouse grab a gun from a highly-trained individual and shoot 4 people, make it down 8 flights of stairs, and out into the wind?
My first question is this: where was the deputy's gun leg? If your gun leg is away from bad guys, they have a real hard time getting it. Was she standing with her gun towards the rapist? How did that guy get his hands on that gun? And when he did, what did the deputy do about it? Apparently not enough, but I know we're all trained to respond to an attempted gun take away, so I want to know what she did.
Here's my main problem (keeping in mind that I don't know the details of the situation): The deputy had to have acted outside her training in order for this to occur, unless Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training doesn't include officer safety. It makes me mad and sad because this didn't have to happen. This could have been avoid with minimally smart tactics.
Well, if she survives, I'm sure the deputy is going to be beating herself up for the rest of her life over this. I hope she's okay and I hope she's able to cope. And I also hope that this is a lesson to everyone else to pay attention to where you put your gun leg. We can't get complacent out there (easy for me to say, right?). It's never a "routine day". I'm sure this deputy thought it was just another routine court case. Now it might be her last.
EDIT: So I'm stupid and didn't realize the deputy was a woman. I've changed all the pronouns to make it accurate. Thanks to Robbie for showing me the light.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robbie said...

You keep addressing the Deputy as "Him"...but the real problem, and the answer to your question as to how this could happen is that the he is a she.

Now the real question is why was a lone female deputy who is about 5'3" and 125lbs assigned to guard a 6' 4", powerfully built and violent male prisoner?

The question of how Nichols was able to overpower his guard becomes a little more clear when you understand who his guard was.

Another case of political correctness gone absurd (and this time, causing peoples lives).

6:34 AM  
Blogger Phil Aldridge said...

Robbie -

Good point. I just heard about the actual gender of the officer today on the morning news.

Apparently I'm not a stellar reader sometimes.

Anyways, I think that makes the story much more interesting.

However, it was a woman who kept her cool and talked the killer into not only letter her go, but turning himself in.

Sounds like somebody belongs in Hostage Negotiation!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home